Views 2 for coders 4 hours hands-on training
And for those of you who are seasoned Drupal coders, we have prepared a hands on training session to get into the rhythm : Views 2 for Coders (4 hours hand-on workshop).
The training session will be held in English by the very excellent Frederic Marand from OSInet
Though not obligatory, those who wish to participate in the training session are encouraged to donate to French Drupal Association (the funds collected will serve to organize further community events).
To participate you should be familiar with drupal module development, PHP5 object model
and admin-level Views 2.
Learn to optimize Views integration in your modules:
- choosing whether or not to use code-based Views vs Views UI
- integrating Views in code instead of the DB (i.e. defining default views) (w. exercises)
- defining Views data sources: tables, fields, relationships (w. exercises)
- defining application-specific arguments, filters, sorts (w. exercises)
- implementing new Views display types
- just a small note about Views theming (not enough time in 4h)
- altering other Views integrations (w. exercises)
- documenting Views: API, doxygen, Advanced help
- performance notes
The session will be a mix of slide-based presentation with application exercises to apply the theory.
Esmerel should be with us to introduce Merlinofchaos' upcoming Views book.
Attendees will need to have an already configured PC with Drupal 6, Views 6.2.6 and their favorite IDE operational in order to work on the exercises and access source code. A typical recommended configuration would be:
- A clean Drupal 6.13 install on MAMP/WAMP/whatever
- Views 2.6, Views UI
- Advanced help
- CVS client
- A good browser (I like Opera a lot)
- Net access
This session or Crell's ?
Crell and I have tried to keep our sessions as distinct as possible to avoid duplication. He will talk more about overall architecture, themeing/style and accesss plugins ; while this session will focus more on the practical aspects of beginning with code-based Views, and data manipulation.
English or French ?
To be decided by the attendees.